Unix is in surgery now at 11pm on a Friday. He is having his bladder drained, and has a massive blockage, which if we had not brought him to the vets, he would have most likely died from tonight. The vet feels as though we caught this in time, and that he will survive, and has stated that he is otherwise healthy. The vet just called as I was writing this and asked me if I gave permission to let Aubrey put the 'deposit' for the procedures on my card - the 'deposit' is $400. I can't even imagine what the actual cost of the services will be. I guess it is time for me to find a night job or weekend job to help pay for our family. Teaching alone isn't going to cut it if we keep having these kinds of emergencies coming up. It unfortunately seems to be more of a rule and an exception these days.
They want to keep Unix for at least 48 hours on a catheter, and chances are we will bring him to our own vet tomorrow. I am grateful that we didn't wait to take him though. Chances are, even if he were alive in the morning, he would not have survived the damage to his kidneys, liver and heart. We are not out of the woods yet, as he could still not survive the draining procedure, and he could also have this happen again.
If you have male cats, please research their diets. Apparently, magnesium can cause this in cats. Additionally, I have read a LARGE number of people who had fed their cats a Purina diet have had this happen. Unix does not eat Purina, but I am unsure about the magnesium levels. You can be sure that I will check them tomorrow, and will focus on a very careful diet for ALL of our cats. The upfront cost for GOOD food is worth it in the long run.
No comments:
Post a Comment