It seems like I write this kind of story more often this year than any other. In October of 2007, Obie, our 9 year old kitty died from Lymphoma. In August of 2008, my lifelong kitty friend Ellie died of Chronic Renal Failure at age 16, and today, our sweet boy Unix was rushed into emergency treatment for what we believe to be a urinary blockage, which is often fatal in cats. He is at the overnight vet now with Aubrey, and I am waiting to hear what is happening with him. He has never in the 9+ years I have known him, growled. Not once. Today, he screamed out and growled at us. He cried out, howled and growled. He is in a lot of pain, and was licking at his bottom when we got home from dinner tonight.
I will write more when I know more, and I hope that I have positive news, and not more sadness to share. I can't believe that we are again this year going through trauma with another cat. For those of you who read this and don't understand the value of a cat in the family, the concern doesn't even make sense to you, so there is no sense in having you read the post at all. For those of you who have the understanding, you know what we are going through now.
I am particularly frustrated at the moment. He has been on antibiotic after antibiotic for UTI's (Urinary tract infections) - every vet we have seen has put him on the same thing. It seems to me that a cat with recurring UTI's ought to be looked at a bit closer, don't you think? I mean, one UTI, ok, put him on antibiotics. 2 UTI's, do it again, but watch really closely - 3 or 4 in a row? Seems to me that something is wrong. I should have been a vet - it seems as though I can't have true faith those out there who are... I understand that they are overwhelmed in their craft, but if I don't do MY job well, there is someone else out there who can come in and take my place... why should it be any different for anyone else? Maybe I am wrong but right now, I am so scared, frustrated and just praying that Unix will be OK, and that we can AFFORD to make sure that he becomes and stays that way. I have read so many stories about people who had cats with the same condition that I think Unix has, and they had to put their cat, their family member to sleep because of the cost to help them... and the vets that they saw would not help the animal because of this... the $$$
I can't judge my new vet, because I can only hope that their practice would be more caring and helpful if the need arises, but I have seen all too many vets who won't even look at an animal without the credit card being placed on the counter. Shit, I don't tell parents that I won't look at their child and teach them until I see a paycheck! What the hell has the world come to... nobody does anything for anyone else until they know that THEY will be paid ... pathetic. When you DIE, you can't take the $ with you, you know. What will GOD say when you get there? Will He ask how much $ you made, or will He ask what YOU did to help others? And, by others, I mean ANY living creatures.
Maybe I am on a rampage now, but I have seen perfectly save-able animals die because the owner or whoever did not have the $ or did not want to pay to save the animal, and the vet took the easy route.
Please send a warm thought or a prayer in Unix's direction. He really needs it.
No comments:
Post a Comment