

Yesterday, Lanie helped mommy in the garden for a few hours. I pulled weeds, Lanie blew bubbles with her very cool no spill bubble holder that Aunt Barbara got her for her easter basket (this thing really doesn't leak - it is wonderful!). Well, Lanie spent some time yelling at Kozar, the neighbor dog. He barks, and she scolds him - telling him "No barking, Kozar" or "be quiet". She has no qualms about commanding! Anyhow, she then yelled at a bee that was flying around, telling it to get away, and "I don't like it". So, to distract her, I suggested that she come and help me pull up some of the little maple trees that plant themselves so inconveniantly throughout the gardens each season. She pulled one, showed it to me, and said "Look mommy, I got a root!". Well, she was calling it a ruke, but corrected herself when she heard it was a root...Oh my goodness... she is TWO! This kid is just so smart, and so verbal. I simply am amazed.
After that, the neighbor kitty came by to visit, and Lanie followed her around a little bit. I continued pulling weeds and trees from the garden, when suddenly, I hear Lanie ask in her usualy adorable way "What is this?". I didn't even look up at first, and just responded with "What is it?" which usually gets her to come back with a "What is that?". Finally I look up, and she is holding a very dead mouse by its tail! This poor critter was skinned around its abdomen and was just the epitome of GROSS, and there my daughter is with it dangling from her hand. I of course got up immediately and ran over to her, grabbed both arms, and asked her to please put it down. Of course, she was not at all interested in ridding herself of her new treasure, so we had to argue it out a bit. Finally, after many failed attepmts to get her to drop the dead beast, I finally had to tell her it was a dead mouse. SHe promptly let it go, and we went in the house to wash our hands (over and over again).
That was seriously gross. I am just relieved that she didn't lick it or something! She tends to try to put things in her mouth still...
4 comments:
as i will remind you, ants are "tasty" when you are two. although i prefer not to think of dead mice this way, perhaps they are too? i'll have to ask the meep.
I think your blog is a great idea! I really miss the daily chatter from the barn. It takes no time at all to totally lose touch with each others lives.
Gina
Well, seeing how she really isn't too much into meat, maybe we can sell her on the 'Dead mouse taste like chicken.beef combo'... won't help when she picks it up, but it may keep her from eating it! We really do need her to like Mighty Taco though...
Catherine,
do you remember the spiders, Fritz and Freelong, that you named and adopted???? Pet spiders, dead mice...I sense a passing on of family traits!
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment