
Thank GOD. I started this long, slow journey back in 1999, and bit by bit, I am nearing the end. In August, I will have my Masters of Science in Education...that is pretty cool to me. I was never much of a scholar, and in retrospect, I am pretty proud of this particular accomplishment. If all goes well, and I get the grades I believe I earned this semester, I should graduate with a 3.9+ gpa... who knew? Certainly not me. I even was inducted into Kappa Delta Pi (http://www.kdp.org/) this semester, which was a nice honor to be given. Needless to say, going into art education, I need as much help as I can get to find a job. There are so many trained art teachers, and so few jobs. I have done a lot this particular semester which I can honestly say I am proud of... I didn't whomp my research partner (who was an absolute nightmare to work with), I completed my thesis, which consisted of two-semester's worth of research to identify what pre-service art teachers (those who have not yet obtained a teaching job) expected of their own education, and their first year of teaching. After completing the thesis, I was asked to publish an article for the NYSATA Newsletter (New York State Art Teachers Association), and to present my research at the NYSATA conference this year in Tarrytown, NY in November.
By the way, I received an "A" on my thesis/action research project, from a professor who is notorious for being very tough, grades-wise... in the 40 pages of research, I didn't have a SINGLE grammar correction! Who knew! This coming from someone who didn't think she would even graduate from high school! I guess hard work and persistance pays off...
So, this summer, I have one more class to take. I am doing an advanced thesis in lithography to learn a printmaking technique that I am unfamiliar with. I am also going to see whether or not I can work in the ceramics studio this summer while I am still employed at the college. I have to use the resources while I still have them! I will mis working there, but I really am looking forward to finding my place in a school community. I loved my student teaching experiences so much and really want to get back to working with children again...
Older news, I also published a unique lesson that I taught on a well known art teacher reference site - the link to that is below
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Catherine-food.htm
Life is good. Now I just need to find a job!
1 comment:
Congrats on your blog, you'll find it is quite fun. Hope you are all well, Lanie is so big. Please check out my blog sometime!
-hugs from Leslie and Bruce
Post a Comment