Monday, June 16, 2008

When your child tries to burn your house down...

Warning to parents - don't ask your child to take the paper towel roll to the recycling bin if he or she has to walk past a candle. We had a terrible storm come through this evening, so in the event that we lost electricity, I made the choice to light two candles. I was cleaning up after dinner, and asked Lanie to please take the empty paper towel roll to the recycling bin as I often do. The next thing I know, she says "Why is that paper on fire mommy?". I looked around the corner and saw that my floor had a bunch of paper towel (which she must have found somewhere since it was an empty roll) engulfed in flame on my floor. Soot and ash were spreading everywhere, and all I could think of was holy sh*t, my house is going to burn down and my daughter and my cats are in danger! (Aubrey was not home). I got the fire out with minimal damage, though some of the tiles in the kitchen will need to be replaced now.

I know that parenthood is all a learning experience, but goodness, I was really surprised by this! Lanie by the way had a slight and very minor burn on her hand, but she is okay. She was very frightened, and I think that we BOTH learned a lot from this experience.

No comments: