Monday, June 23, 2008

Off to the artpark in the sky

Today I found out that someone special in my younger part of my life passed away about two weeks ago. His name was Jimmy Burns, and he dated my mom when I was younger. Jimmy was very close friends with my Aunt Barb and Uncle Chris. Jimmy was likely the most talented artist I had ever met. I remember him creating the most detailed drawing on an etch a sketch of all things while he had his morning coffee. He would often take a pen or pencil and white paper and in a matter of minutes have created something new, and usually funny - he was also quite the comedian. Even at his funeral, I heard that he had a song from Monty Python playing. Somehow his wishes for the kind of funeral that he would want were discussed not too long back, though his death two weeks ago was sudden and unexpected.

Jimmy was a good egg. He was kind hearted, smart, goofy, loving, and was the biggest 'kid' I think I ever met. He never really grew up, I don't think. I have not seen Jimmy in over 10 years, and I am sorry that I won't see him again. I will always remember how special he was, and how much he cared for my family.

No comments: