As a new teacher, I often find myself looking at how the other teachers around me behave. One would think that a teacher would naturally lead by example, and such examples would be good ones. However, I sadly find that many more teachers are not doing this, and are in fact, rather catty, clikish (no idea how to spell that one), and can be downright nasty. That is all too bad.
Here is my pet peeve though....
I am an art teacher. I have art supplies which I need to use in order to teach my students successfully. I expect, that when I walk into my art room, that my supplies will be there. Just as the teachers in the other classrooms would expect that their books, chairs, etc. would be there for their use in the room each day.
So, I went to one of my schools the other day and low and behold, ALL of my glue was gone. Someone 'borrowed' it and didn't return it. I needed it that day and it was gone. Of course, I didn't notice this until it was nearly time for my first class, and I didn't have time to go door to door to ask where the hell it was!
So, finally, I ask one teacher to ask around during her break while I was teaching her class. She found the glue, it was with another 2nd grade teacher. The glue gets returned, and the teacher NEVER even apologized for her mistake! So, on top of that, she was 5 minutes late getting her kids to art, as she FORGOT that they had art that day... not a shocker as she is ALWAYS late, but since I only see the kids once every 6 days for 40 minutes, EVERY minute is golden.
Still no apology...
When I got the glue back, I put it away where it was out of sight. I don't appreciate it when people use the supplies that come out of MY budget without asking at least. If they ask, I know where it is, and I can ask for it back if it is not returned. I had to refill all of the glue bottles DURING my class which took away from teaching time. I also gave this teacher a lot of supplies the previous week for a project that she was asking for help on.. I thought I wwas being nice! I was being used I think.
So, said teacher comes back in to my room and asks if she can borrow the glue again...
still no apology....
takes the glue, comes back later and never even says thank you!
Why don't I say anything about this? Stupid tenior (sp?)... I have to wait until next year for that. Then I can say something.
Aren't politics stupid in that way?
Ok - sorry this was a rant. I wanted to get it out of my head and into the blog... I feel much better now ;-)
Cheers!
3 comments:
Someone needs to put a lock on the supply cabinet... ;)
Seriously though, tenure or not, I don't think it's too much to ask for politeness from a colleague. You could half-jokingly say with a smile, "hey, I didn't hear a thank you" like you would to a kid, or just "you're welcome". That sometimes works to gently remind people they're being a little rude.
Guess they aren't ALL in Florida after all.
ew. do people ever learn? are the kids in her class learning that tardiness and taking advantage of people and situations are acceptable?
gross.
Post a Comment