Monday, January 12, 2009

Good-Bye Norma. We all loved you so much.

A little after 1 today, I received a phone call at school to tell me that Lanie's favorite teacher at her daycare, Norma, had passed away.

Let me tell you a little bit about Norma. I met her over 3 years ago when she came into the infant room at the daycare where my child goes. She used to come in to visit with the kids, and was always so kind and wonderful with my daughter. Norma truly loved Lanie. I believe that Norma truly loved ALL of the children in her life. She used to tell me (she worked in the 3 year old room) that the hardest part about her job was that she had to wait 3 years before the little ones got to her room!

I remember the day that I found out that Lane would be moving up from the 2's to the 3's room (they separate by age). The day had FINALLY come that Lanie would go to Norma's room! Lanie was so excited, as were we. She learned so much from Norma, and she especially loved learning to speak Spanish from her (Norma was from Puerto Rico).

Norma had an amazing talent with children. Sadly, she was never able to have her own children, and always said that the kids at the daycare were her kids (and she loved them as such). It is such a pity that so many unfit people have children, yet Norma, who would have made a better mother than most women, could not. This broke her heart, but she poured her heart into the kids she worked with each day - work... I have a hard time even saying that... she suer made it look easy.

She told wonderful stories, and sang songs, played games and taught the children to be kind and respectful.

Often times, Norma would show me the artwork that she had done. She was so proud of the flowers she would paint on nails, or the faces she would draw. She practiced so much and so hard, and always was proud to show me. I loved the look in her eye when she would share these things with me. I sure wish I could see it again, though I am sure that she is already watching the art classes I teach, learning more and more about how to do art in heaven. She was already an angel here on earth, so I have no doubt that she is truly an angel now.

We have not told Lanie yet. Tomorrow, they will be telling the children at school, and I will be there for that. Lanie loves Norma, and I don't know how she will take the news.

Norma was 44 years young. She was a friend to us all, a lover of Tinkerbell and of all of her children. I miss her already, and will have her in my heart forever.

No comments: