Friday, July 4, 2008

International People


Proost! (Robin and Aubrey)

Every now and again, someone we meet says something that is so profoundly stupid that you have no choice but to remember it forever. George W. Bush is pretty good at that, specifically with his plan for strategery. Back in 1994, Carl Barr (Mullett) Smith of the Old Main Inn fame was very excited to meet my friend Robin, who is from the Netherlands. When I introduced Carl and Robin to each other, I believe Carl's response was "Wow, I LOVE international people!"

That response was so ignorant that it was hilarious, and has stuck with us both for the past 14 years.

Robin (International People) was just here for a visit, and left to go back to Toronto's airport about 30 minutes ago. I was (am) sorry that the visit this time was so short, and cut even shorter by a long but brief trip to Brooklyn/Long Island, and by some other somewhat unforeseen family issues that came up while he was here. Nonetheless, it was, as it always is, a pleasure to have the company of a friend that has been a part of my life for now 16 years. I love that Aubrey and Robin have such a good relationship, and that Lanie took to Robin as though she had known him forever. Robin and I had a few nice chances to talk, which was something that we really have only had the chance to do online or through email for, well, since honestly, 1995, which I am just now realizing!
Tony and Robin at Coney Island (I finally got to meet Tony... after knowing of him for 14 years!)

Lanie was very impressionable and interested in learning about her new "best friend" Robin. She even learned some dutch while he was here - koekje (cookie), and even now, she was on the toilet and told me that she did "poep maaken" (you can likely figure that one out on your own...)

The newest soccer player for the Ajax!
So, now it is our turn to visit Holland, or at least the E.C. in the next year or two. It will be so nice to see Ingrid again (she did not accompany Robin this time on the visit), and have Lanie see all of the wonderful things that Aubrey and I get excited about when we visit Europe. Robin warns me that if Ingrid meets Lanie, she will want to keep her. I hope so... then maybe Lanie can in fact convince them to have a little one of their own that she can come and visit ;-) . After all, aren't ALL children as wonderful as Lanie? :-D
Lanie's newest best friend, Robin

What a nice American family! Cute, too! ;-)

So, being the jet setters that we are, we leave tomorrow for the perennial Soo visit, and are looking forward to that visit as well. I will of course post some photos of that trip when we return, since I won't be bringing the computer up there (no internet, no phone, no problem!!!).

Cheers!
Cate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good seeing you and Aubrey again and to finally meet Lanie, who is a very special little girl!! I just loved her.

I hope next time we will meet again won't take that long.

For those who would like to see more picture you can check http://usa.robingrid.nl

Erin said...

aw! I'm sorry i missed you robin!