Friday, May 23, 2008

Guatemalan Carpet Painting with local artist Lyn Parsons







Me working on the carpet that my class designed.My students working on their design


The finished carpet
Details


Yesterday we celebrated Art Fest 2008 at the High School. It is a festival where the students are treated to a large variety of arts, such as music both by students, faculty and the US ARMY Rock Band, poetry, student films, 2-D and 3-D art where they can both watch and participate, visiting artists, face and henna painting and more.

The festival was my first, and it was nothing short of wonderful. My students (along with the students in some of the other art classes) helped design patterns that we used to create Guatemalan carpet paintings outside. We used colored saw dust along with other natural materials (pine needles, etc) to create large murals on the ground. It was a lot more fun than I would have anticipated, and I plan to do something similar to this with my students next year (though on a much smaller scale I think). Enjoy the photos!

1 comment:

Kate Blasio said...

Hi Cate! This is so cool..I bet even cooler in person :)