Sunday, June 17, 2007

Lithography (my artwork)





I thought I would share this with whoever reads this... I am taking a lithography class now (last class for my degree). I had other plans on what I would use as my images, but as we all know, things change sometimes. When my Pop Pop died, I wanted to do something special for my family, because he was so special to all of us. I chose one of my Fav. photos of Pop when he was young, and drew it rather largely with litho crayons (can't erase, so you can't make mistakes) on limestone. From that, I used gum arabic and nitric acid to etch the stone. From that, I printed 12 prints of my Pop Pop, one for each of my sisters, one for my Dad, one for Auntie, and one for my cousins, Kristen and Danielle (each). Today is father's day, so I gave Dad his, and one for my sister Shawna. I rarely draw, and drawing people is particularly difficult, since you lose their likeness if you don't catch the most important details. You learn a great deal from drawing too - I learned that Pop and I had the same teeth (shape). I never knew that, since he had aged, and his teeth were replaced with dentures. Even my dentist could tell we were related (I had to show her the print... I am particularly proud of this one).

I hope you enjoy. If you are one of my sisters (or auntie or cousins), I will be sending you a print soon!

Love,
Catherine

PS - these are some of the different stages the stone went through... I thought I would share the process a little with you all.

2 comments:

Diva665 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diva665 said...

Trin,

I need to stop reading your blog while I'm at work because you made me cry. You are so talented! What an unbelievable job you did, I cnnot wait to see it in person.

Thank you for creating this. I know it will be treasured by all of us.

Love,
Kimmy